Wisconsin families reflect national trends of reduced financial security, lacking savings, inadequate cash flow management and ability to plan for emergencies.Through Wisconsin Extension’s Family Living program, educators held workshops and provided information and resources via a website and newsletter to more than 8,700 individuals between 2012 and 2015. Participants later showed increases in healthy financial habits such as:
- Creating a personal budget, spending plan or financial plan
- Having confidence in their ability to achieve a financial goal
- Having the ability to make ends meet in an emergency
- Using auto-deposit or electronic transfers to commit to payments or savings
- Spending less with respect to income
- Paying fewer late fees.
When Wisconsin families strengthen their financial security, communities benefit, too. Financially strong families are the foundation for economic prosperity.